Mindpool: Mindfulness courses and workshops
Mindfulness courses, taster sessions and retreats to help individuals find better health and wellbeing.
Mindfulness is all about learning to bring attention to our present-moment experience with an attitude of kindness, curiosity and acceptance.
Rather than worrying about what has happened in the past or what might happen in the future, mindfulness trains us to explore and respond more skilfully to whatever is happening right now.
Research has shown that people who practise mindfulness regularly feel less stressed, calmer and more clear-headed. It can also help prevent recurrent depression and help people develop more fulfilling relationships with others.
Those who might benefit from a course include those with chronic pain, anxiety, stress as well as anyone wishing to explore finding deeper meaning in their life and wishing to cultivate more balance.
Mindpool offers several types of courses:
- An eight–week mindfulness course based on the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction format which includes a two-hour session each week and a silent retreat day.
- An eight-week mindfulness course based on the book “Finding Peace in a Frantic World” which includes a one-and-a-half hour session each week.
- An eight-week .b Foundations course developed by the Mindfulness in Schools Project specifically for teachers and school staff.
Mindpool also runs retreat days and some mindful movement and meditation sessions.
The courses are experiential and practice-based which means that participants get to explore their own experience through techniques such as the body scan and mindfulness of breathing.
Mindfulness is not advised for those in the middle of a severe depressive episode. It is best to seek advice from a trained counsellor or your GP in such circumstances – or to talk to Philippa first.
"Finding Peace" taster session
Date: Tuesday 10th April 2018
Venue: Please contact Philippa for details
Time: 6.30pm - 8pm
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- What age groups is this for?
- Anyone 18 or over
- What groups of people is this for?
- The general public
- Social media
Connect with Mindpool on Facebook
- Can I bring someone with me?
- Please ring to discuss with Philippa
- What should I bring with me?
- A blanket might be useful for the first week of the course
- What should I expect?
- Mindpool aims to provide a warm, friendly environment where we create a sense of a shared, confidential space together.
- Disabled access
- Ground floor room is used and street parking is available outside St Stephen's Church.
- How much will it cost me?
- Taster sessions cost £7. Longer, in-depth courses cost more.
- When is this activity on?
- See the website for locations and times
- How can I access this service?
- You can self refer by telephone or e-mail