The British Medical Association (BMA): Telephone support for doctors
A dedicated support lines for doctors, staffed by professional counsellors as well as the Doctor Advisor service.
BMA Counselling and Doctors Advisor service
BMA Counselling is staffed by professional telephone counsellors who are all members of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and are bound by strict codes of confidentiality and ethical practice. You can even choose to remain anonymous when you call.
Doctor Advisor Service
The Doctor Advisor service runs alongside BMA Counselling giving doctors and medical students in distress or difficulty the choice of speaking in confidence to another doctor.
This is not an emergency service and if you find yourself in such a situation, please get appropriate help from either your own GP or usual medical advisor.
As with BMA Counselling, once you have made contact with a particular Doctor Advisor you may contact them as many times as you feel necessary and there is no limit on how long you stay in touch for.
- Council Area
- Social media
- How much will it cost me?
- Free. Cost of phone call.
- When is this service open?
- 24-hours a day, seven days a week
- How can I access this service?
- You can just call us. Doctor Advisor service - ask to speak to a Doctor Advisor - you will be given the name of a doctor to contact and details of their availability.
Counselling / Doctor Advisor
- 0330 123 1245