Healthiness - exercises and fitness classes
Community based health and fitness classes, working mostly with older people and adults with mental health problems.
We work with to reduce sedentary behaviour, improve health, promote inclusion and integrate vulnerable adults within local health activities and their community.
We have a holistic approach to health that is structured to suit the people we work with. We provide services in Older Persons / Nursing Homes, Residential and local community settings.
We provide nutritional guidance and programming, fitness classes and physical activity guidance and numerous health topics to facilitate a state of healthiness and help improve quality of life.
Exercises are suitable for beginners, new and returning exercisers unless otherwise stated. A downloadable timetable is at the bottom of this page.
Better Balance - Chair Fitness
Fitness class with balance and strength training, adapted for adults with limited mobility and those at risk of falls. Class may be done seated or with the support of a chair.
- Thursday 10.00am - 11.00am: £2. Alman Court, Bryanston Road, L17 7AL
- Wednesday 11.45am-12.45pm £3. Edge Hill Youth & Community Centre L7 5ND
Couch to 5K & Beginners' Boot Camp
Both programmes cost just £10 each for 10 weeks - just £1 a session. We recommend joining Couch to 5K in the first week to get the most out of the programme, but you are more than welcome to join in the second or third week if you can't make the start date.
Sessions take place on Wednesday 5.30pm - 6.30pm (Couch to 5K) and 6.30pm - 7.30pm (Beginners' Boot Camp).
- 17th October 2018 - 19th December 2018: Otterspool Promenade
Cycle for Health
Bring your own bike and helmet or hire one free of charge (limited numbers, booking essential - call or e-mail us). Refreshments provided after each ride. Led by fully qualified instructors.
Broadgreen - Cycling on traffic-free Liverpool Loop Line.
- Tuesday 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- Meeting point: Broadgreen Hospital Main Reception, Thomas Drive, Broadgreen, L14 3LB. Within easy reach of Broad Green rail station, as well as the 7, 61, 68, 81, 139, 202 and 204 bus routes.
Croxteth Park - Ideal for those interested in taking up cycling for the first time in a while. Sessions will last for 2 hours and the rides will be 7-8 miles in length.
- Thursday 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- Meeting point: Croxteth Hall & Country Park, off Muirhead Avenue, Croxteth, L11 1EH
Mossley Hill - Aimed at novices or those looking to return to cycling, all rides are traffic free and off road.
- Wednesday 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- Meeting point: Mossley Hill Hospital Reception, Park Avenue, L18 8BU
Dementia friendly classes
Sessions will be a mix of Postural Stability, Chair-based Fitness and Active Bingo. These classes are specially tailored for people living with dementia and their carers.
- Wednesday 3.00pm - 4.00pm, Thursday 12.45pm - 1.30pm and Friday 10.00am - 11.00am. Age Concern's Poppy Centre, 179 Townsend Lane, Clubmoor, Liverpool, L13 9DY
The classes improve the lives of people living with osteoarthritis and chronic joint pain through integrating educational self-management and coping strategies with an individualised exercise regimen for each participant.
- We are taking bookings for the subsequent programme which begins on Monday 22nd October 2018. Lasting for six weeks, each programme consists of twice-weekly classes on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Fun Fitness For All
Fun circuits and strength training class, specially adapted for all fitness levels. Including time for tea and socialising!
- Monday 9.30am - 10.30am: £2. Lilyfiled, St Mary’s Church Hall, 1 South Drive, L15 8JJ
- Tuesday 10.00am - 11.00am: £2. Sanctuary, Upper Parliament Street, L8 7QL
- Tuesday 10.00am - 12.00pm: Free. Action on Addiction, Rodney Street, L1 9EF. Intermediate and advanced levels.
- Thursday 11.30am-12.30pm: £2. Disability Group, The Lime Hub L6 1NB
50+ Let's Get Healthy
A variety of exercise sessions with optional social time!
- Wednesday 9.30am - 11.30am: £2.50 - 3.50. Boxercise, Circuits, Health Education Workshop. Lark Lane Community Centre, Sefton Grove, L17 8XB. Intermediate to Advanced.
- Friday 9.30am - 12.30pm: £2.50 - 3.50. 9.30am Dance & Tone, 10.30am Pure Tone, 11.30am Pure Stretch. Lark Lane Community Centre, Sefton Grove, L17 8XB. Intermediate to Advanced.
Fun fitness class, nutritional education workshops with plenty of social time, tea, table tennis and pool.
- Monday 12.30am - 3.30pm: £2.50 - 3.50. Lark Lane Community Centre, Sefton Grove, L17 8XB
Postual Stability and PSI Memory Fit
Specially tailored for people living with dementia, their carers and those at risk of dementia in the future.
- Monday 2 - 3.30pm £2.50. PSI Memory Fit. Lark Lane Community Centre L18 8XB
- Wednesday 1.30pm - 3.30pm £2. Postual Stability. Mossley Hill Hospital, Park Avenue, L18 8BU
Walk for Health
Free outdoor walks, ideal for everyone to improve their health and wellbeing. All walks are dementia friendly.
- Tuesday 10.00am - 11.00am: Free. Meeting point: Sefton Park Lark Lane entrance, L17 8XB.
- Thursday 11.00am - 12.00pm: Free. Meeting point: Mossley Hill Hospital reception, L18 8BU
A slower version of the traditional game for over 50s. A combination of drills and games. Tea and coffee provided. See the flyer at the bottom of this page.
- Monday 12.30 - 2pm: £2.50. Lark Lane Community Centre, Sefton Grove L17 8XB
Voluntary Job Vacancies
Full job descriptions are available on our website. If you would like to apply for any of these opportunities, please feel free to e-mail us.
- Volunteer Public Relations Assistant
- Volunteer Personal Assistant
- Cycle Project Assistant
- Council Area
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- What age groups is this for?
- What groups of people is this for?
- The general public
- Social media
- How much will it cost me?
- Classes are £2.00 or £3.00 per session depending on length. Some are free as stated above.
- When is this activity on?
- See the timetable above for the different classes, days and times
- How can I access this service?
- Come along to one of the sessions or call for more information. Please fill in a copy of our informed consent and medical form at the bottom of this web page.