Specially trained dogs to guide a blind or partially-sighted person.
Can I apply for a dog?
If you are blind or partially sighted Guide Dogs is committed to providing you with a guide dog or another more suitable mobility service.
- Age – there is no lower or upper age limit
- Living circumstances – religious or cultural backgrounds; city or rural locations; employed or unemployed; so long as the dogs physical and emotional needs are met, most circumstances can be accommodated
- Level of sight loss – you do not need to have lost all your remaining sight
- Cost – if needed, financial assistance is available
- Training – we will work with you, and where relevant with other organisations, to achieve your goals
My Guide – 1:1 sighted guiding service
My Guide is our free service that helps people with a vision impairment get out of their homes and into the community with a volunteer as their sighted guide.
Sighted guiding helps to build self-confidence, increase social interaction and be part of the community.
To apply, get in touch with us by phone or email. We will chat through your requirements to ensure this is the right service for you and then take you through the following steps:
- a simple assessment to help us understand how My Guide can best work for you
- matching you with an approved My Guide volunteer who has received full training – this will include a meeting to ensure you feel comfortable working together
Liverpool Mobility Team
Our team of 28 staff work out of the Knotty Ash office, Liverpool, covering the counties of Merseyside and Cheshire. We have around 270 guide dog owners at any time. If we can’t help you directly, we’ll do what we can to work with other service providers
in the area to meet your needs.
- How can I access this service?
- Call or email
- When is this service open?
- Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- How much will it cost me?
- On successful qualification the cost of the guide dog to the owner is 50p. The sighted guiding service is Free of charge. Calls to the 0300 number are the same as to a local line.
- Social media
- What groups of people is this for?
- People with a sensory disability
- What age groups is this for?
- Any age
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- Adult Services
- 0345 1430229
- Apply for a guide dog/Liverpool Mobility Team
- 0345 1430211