Museum with a wide variety of collections including:
- 50,000 artefacts from across the ancient world including Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Anglo-Saxon.
- The herbarium currently contains around 400,000 specimens, the great majority being pressed dried mounted specimens.
- Ethnology collection ranking among the top six collections in the country and is made up of around 40,000 objects.
- Over 40,000 fossils as well as extensive rock and mineral collections.
- An extensive horology collections containing over 12,000 items and are of international significance.
- Physical collection containing several significant items from the Liverpool Royal Institution and Bidston Observatory.
- The zoology collection made up of around 1.2 million specimens of invertebrate and vertebrate animals.
World Museum is also a venue for
Meet Me At The Museum, a dementia-friendly drop-in sessions for older people.
- How can I access this service?
- Drop in
- When is this service open?
- Our opening hours are 10am-4pm, Tuesday to Sunday. We are closed on Mondays. Like many organisations, we are learning to live with Coronavirus and our opening hours may be subject to change at short notice due to reduced staffing. Please check our website on the day of your visit to avoid disappointment.
- How much will it cost me?
- Admission to the World Museum is free, except for special exhibitions. Exhibitions are free for members. Donations are welcome.
- Disabled access
- Wheelchairs are available to borrow. All toilets are wheelchair accessible. Limited number of blue badge parking spaces on William Brown Street, outside the museum. The road surface is cobbled.
- What groups of people is this for?
- The general public
- What age groups is this for?
- Any age
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- All Enquiries
- 0151 478 4393