Support service for the terminally ill and their families.
What do Marie Curie Helper volunteers do?
Helper volunteers allow carers to take a break, and help the person who is ill to complete the everyday tasks which can make a real difference to quality of life – from making a cup of tea to getting to a hospital appointment.
Your volunteer will visit you in your home, or talk to you on the phone, for up to three hours a week. It’s up to you how you spend that time – you may just want to chat or there may be something practical your volunteer can help you with. The service is
entirely based around your needs.
What are the benefits of having a Helper?
- Companionship and emotional support. Our volunteers provide a friendly ear – someone to talk to about whatever’s on your mind.
- Practical help. Helper volunteers can come with you to appointments or social events or help with small everyday tasks.
- A break for families and carers. Your carer may be able to take a short break while our Helper volunteer’s with you.
- Information on further support. Our volunteers can help you look into other support and services available in your area, such as finding a gardener or cleaner to help around the home.
cleaning, cooking or food shopping.
- How can I access this service?
- Contact us if you’d like support from our Helper volunteers. We can help if you’re aged 18 or over with a terminal illness, or if you’re looking after someone who is terminally ill.
- Who can refer me to this service?
- Referrals are accepted from health, social and care professionals, and self referrals. Call or email on number shown.
- When is this service open?
- 8am-6pm Monday to Friday and 11am-5pm on Saturday.
- How much will it cost me?
- Free. Calls are free from landlines and mobiles.
- Is translation or interpreting available?
- If you can’t speak English, or it isn’t your first language, our Support Line is available in over 200 languages. Get in touch and we can request an interpreter to join and translate your call live.
- What should I expect?
- We’ll find out more about you and your situation before matching you with a Helper volunteer who’s right for you. Once matched, you can arrange with your Helper volunteer when you want to meet and what you’d like to do together.
- What groups of people is this for?
- The general public
- What age groups is this for?
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- Helper Volunteers
- 0800 304 7402