Befriending social groups for adults with sight loss. You can connect with others in the comfort of your own home using your phone or computer.
Our befriending groups help you to socialise by phone, or via the messenger app, for friendship and peer support in small groups of blind and partially sighted people.
How the groups work
We match individuals together for general conversations as part of our Talk and Support befriending offer.
Trained staff or volunteers facilitate the groups. Typically, groups meet on a regular day of the week and can run for a period of six to 12 weeks. Our facilitators help the group chat together and keep the conversation flowing. The service is open to adults
who are blind and partially sighted of all ages from across the UK.
Once a group has ended we can offer advice on remaining connected.
What you need to take part
You don’t need any special equipment to take part in our social groups. All you need is a access to a phone or computer and somewhere quiet and comfortable while you take part.
We have lots of people who successfully take part in our groups who have difficulties with hearing. If you use a hearing aid or amplified phone then please call us to discuss if you have any concerns.
- How can I access this service?
- To join a group, please register your interest by filling in our webform.
- When is this activity on?
- Telebefriending groups – once a week for around 55 minutes, run between 9.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
- How much will it cost me?
- Call charges apply
- Social media
- What groups of people is this for?
- People with a sensory disability
- What age groups is this for?
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- Sight Loss Advice Service
- 0303 123 9999