Provides a free audiobook service to people who may have a visual impairment, dyslexia or a physical condition that means they have difficulty holding a physical book. Calibre Audio membership is suitable for anyone aged 4 and over.
Who can join? jump to How the service works
We support anyone who is unable to see, read, manipulate or comprehend printed text due to difficulty or inability. This can include:
- A learning disability, such as dyslexia;
- A brain injury or cognitive impairment such as head trauma or stroke;
- A visual impairment or blindness;
- Long COVID
- Physical dexterity problems, including multiple sclerosis (MS), Motor Neurone Disease (MND), Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, paralysis, or terminal illness.
How the service works back to Who can join
On joining, members choose how they would like to listen to our audiobooks: streaming, download and memory stick or a combination of all three.
Listening via Streaming
Audiobooks can be streamed directly from our website, so you can listen to what you want, when you want. Browse our online library and add your chosen audiobooks to your streaming booklist.
Listening via Downloads
Audiobooks can be downloaded via apps directly to your device.
The Dolphin EasyReader app, is a free app available for both iOS and Android. Once you have downloaded the app, you’ll need to login with your Calibre Audio membership number and password. Books can then be downloaded and listened to offline – what you want, when you want.
Libby, by Overdrive, is a another free app available for both iOS and Android. Once downloaded, you can login with your Calibre Audio membership number and pin number and start browsing the more than 9,000 titles available here. New titles are added every month so please keep checking back. Please contact membership services if you need a reminder of your pin number.
Listening on Memory Stick
If you wish to have your audiobooks posted direct to your home, there are two ways to choose your books:
Tell us what categories of books you like (such as detective novels, biography or key stage) and leave the rest to us. We will keep you supplied with titles to enjoy. We won’t send the same book twice (unless you request it!)
Compile a personal book list of book titles (online or by phone) and we will send them to you in order, when available.
Choosing your audiobooks
To select your audiobooks, search our online library by author, title, narrator, category or key stage. All our audiobooks are given a catalogue number so you can also search by this if known. You can then add your chosen audiobooks to your personal booklist.
PDFs of the books available in each category are available for you to download or print. Click here to go to the PDF page.
- How can I access this service?
- Join online by clicking the ‘Join now’ button on the menu bar and completing the form.
- When is this service open?
- Enquiries are answered Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm. Also see the helpdesk page https://help.calibreaudio.org.uk/
- How much will it cost me?
- Calibre Audio is free to join for anyone who has a print disability.
- Social media
- What groups of people is this for?
- People who are physically disabled People with a brain injury People with a learning disability People with a sensory disability
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city