A community project based in L13. All upcoming community events & activities have been paused until the current COVID-19 situation improves. We have some activties online:
Knit & Natter group on WhatsApp – contact us if you’d like to join. M: 07988 778372 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Instead of our weekly local history drop-in sessions, our volunteers are sharing case studies each Friday on our
Community Memories Facebook page
Join up to read this week’s tale of the inventor of ship’s ventilators – and his near miss on the Titanic.
Lister Steps are restoring the old Lister Drive library into a new facility for the local community and running a range of community-based events & activities including site open days, a reading group, an archaeological dig, community memory project & photography
About the Old Library
The Old Library, formerly ‘The Andrew Carnegie Library’, was opened in 1905 and this impressive & historic building served the public as a library until its closure in 2006. Now Lister Steps, with support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF), will
restore this Grade II listed building to its former grandeur and create a landmark for the local community. The Old Library will allow Lister Steps to offer an extended range of community services that can help to make our area better for everyone. The Old
Library will be a place where people can come together, have fun, learn new things and celebrate our community’s heritage. Building work began in April 2019 and the finished building is expected to open in the spring of 2020. In the meantime, we have lots
of exciting events and activities going on whilst construction is underway.
- How can I access this service?
- For most events, you can just turn up but please check The Old Library website or contact the team at Lister Steps if you have any questions.
- When is this activity on?
- See the main description. General enquiries are answered Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm
- How much will it cost me?
- Free unless otherwise stated
- Social media
- What groups of people is this for?
- The general public
- What age groups is this for?
- Any age
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- The Old Library Project enquiries
- Childcare & family services enquiries
- 0151 254 1394