Coronavirus pandemic – new ‘call companion’ service
Do you know an older person who lives alone and is feeling lonely? Whether they’re a friend, relative, neighbour, service user or patient, we’re here to help.
Monthly Sunday afternoon tea parties (currently suspended) for older people aged 75 and over, living alone and finding it difficult to get out and about.
Supported by a network of volunteers, we organise monthly Sunday afternoon tea parties. The groups are small and offer a regular and vital friendship link every month for older people who live alone.
Join a group
As a first step, we’d like you to
fill in our online form so we can find the right group for you. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
If you are completing for a friend or family member,
If you’re a professional referrer than please see our information for referrers on our website. You can also download a printable application form which you can give to an older person to fill in themselves and post back to us. See the bottom of this page.
If you’d like any help with completing our online application form or if you have any questions, you can call our freephone number: 0800 716543.
What happens at an event?
Once you’ve joined a group, you will become a member of a local group that meets up monthly for regular outings. People who you first met as strangers will soon become friends.
How It Works
All our older guests are collected from their home by a volunteer driver, who accompanies them to the event and makes sure they get home safely at the end.
You’ll be warmly welcomed by your event host, who will probably be a different person each month, and invited in for conversation and a cuppa with the rest of the group. Find out more about what it’s like to attend an event.
Our hosts will provide some light refreshments for you all to enjoy. Our events last for a couple of hours and at the end, you’ll be driven home by your volunteer driver.
Become a volunteer
Volunteer with your car
Drivers collect the same guest/s each month and take them to a different local host’s home where they all enjoy an afternoon tea party.
Requirements: You need a full driver’s licence, valid insurance and access to a car. As a driver we ask you to supply two references.
Three to four hours one Sunday a month and to contact their elderly passenger/s a few days before the monthly gathering to make sure they know when they are going to pick them up.
Host a group
Hosts provide a warm welcome and a simple afternoon tea lasting between two to three hours for six to nine older guests and their drivers (three to five drivers). Often hosts involve family and friends and two or three generations join in.
Requirements: A big teapot, a downstairs toilet and easy access to your house (e.g. not too many steps to your front door).
One or two tea parties a year – more if they want.
Coordinate a group
Coordinators ensure everything runs smoothly each month. Coordinators organise the monthly group outings by liaising with the hosts and the drivers so that everyone is clear about the time, date and place.
Requirements: We ask all group coordinators for two references.
The coordinator role is very important, but it only takes a little extra regular commitment each month in addition to the outing.
- How can I access this service?
- To refer yourself or a guest, you can call us, or fill in the online form or printable form at the bottom of this web page and send it to us. To volunteer, fill in the form online.
- When is this service open?
- Enquiries are answered Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm. Tea parties take place on Sunday afternoons
- How much will it cost me?
- Our group activities are free of charge for our older guests. Call to 0800 numbers are free from landlines and mobiles
- Disabled access
- Our hosts and other venues will all be accessible with a downstairs toilet and not more than a few steps up to the property. However volunteers who host in their own home are unlikely to have adaptions such as handrails and toilet facilities for people with disabilities. For this reason we are unable to accept applications from people who are reliant on a wheelchair for their mobility.
- Social media
- DBS checks
- With your safety in mind, all of our drivers are DBS checked and we all ensure drivers and volunteers are fully vetted. Before you come out with your group for the first time, you will be introduced to your driver who will call you beforehand to let you know what time to expect them.
- What groups of people is this for?
- Older people
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- All enquiries - freephone
- 0800 716543