Free, phone-based, social groups for adults with sight loss across the UK.
Talk and Support
The RNIB Talk and Support team run free, phone-based, social groups for adults with sight loss across the UK. They give people the opportunity to socialise, build friendships and get peer support with others who also experience sight loss. We match individuals together for conversations based on age and group preferences. If you would like to join a Talk and Support group you can register your interest by filling out our form.
How it works
Trained volunteers or RNIB staff facilitate the groups. Typically, Talk and Support groups meet on the same day, at the same time, each week. Each group runs for 55 minutes. Our facilitators help the group chat together and keep the conversation flowing.
We can also offer advice on accessible connection options if individuals are keen to communicate outside of their befriending group. We have lots of people who successfully take part in our groups who have difficulties with hearing. If you use a hearing aid or amplified phone, then please email us so we can discuss your needs.
Charles Bonnet syndrome specialist groups
We offer four specialist groups every week for people with Charles Bonnet syndrome to meet others in a similar situation and gain peer support. Someone from Esme’s Umbrella attends the groups to provide more information about the condition. If you would like to attend one of these groups, then please email us.
- How can I access this service?
- To join a group, please register your interest by filling in our webform (link in the main description).
- When is this activity on?
- Befriending groups meet over the telephone, once a week, for around 55 minutes. Groups run between 9.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
- How much will it cost me?
- Call charges apply
- Social media
- What groups of people is this for?
- People with a sensory disability
- What age groups is this for?
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- Sight Loss Advice Service
- 0303 123 9999